Advance tax is a Tax applicable to Matatus and other Public Service Vehicles. It is not a final tax, but a tax partly paid in advance before a public service vehicle or a commercial vehicle is registered or licensed.
What is advance Tax?
This is a tax paid in advance before a public service vehicle or commercial vehicle is licensed at the rates applicable.
What are the tax rates for advancetax?
- For vans, pick-ups, trucks, prime movers, trailers and lorries; Kshs. 1,500 per ton of load capacity subject to a minimum of Kshs. 2,400 per year of income;
- For saloons, station-wagons, mini-buses, buses and coaches; Kshs. 60 per passenger capacity per month subject to a minimum of Kshs. 2,400 per year of income.
Is advance tax a final tax?
Advancetax is not a final tax. Individuals who have paid any advancetax are required to declare the same in their individual income tax returns submitted yearly and pay any additional tax due.
When is it due?
It is due on 20th of January or before transfer of ownership of vehicle.
Step 1: Get started by logging in to Kenya Revenue Authority Portal
- Go to KRA online tax portal : KRA online tax portal and log in.
- Enter KRA PIN then click continue.
- Enter password and security stamp to login to your KRA account.
Step 2: Payment registration
- Click on the payment icon and select payment registration
Step 3: Select payment obligation and tax period
- Under tax head icon select (income tax)
- Under the tax sub head icon select (Advancetax)
- Under Payments type icon select ( self-assessment tax)
- Select tax period you want to pay (e.g. Jan 2019 to Dec 2019)
- Choose the mode of payment (cash /cheque/ RTGS)
Step 4: Download the payment slip and make payment
- After making the selections above click submit to download a payment slip
- Proceed to make payment using payment slip.
- Go to the Office of General Directorate of Taxes at the Kenya Revenue Authority. To make the application.
- Bring and present the required documents to the revenue officer. These documents include
i. A copy of certificate of incorporation.
ii. Vehicle log book.
iii. Vehicle Tax Clearance Certificates.
iv. Letter of application for registration Advance Tax,
v. Invoice (importation papers)
vi. Personal Identification Number (PIN),
vii. PSV licence.
- You will be given an advance tax application form to fill. The tax revenue officer will assess the application and determine the advance tax payable.
- The revenue officer will direct you to the cashier to pay the application fee and Advance tax for registering your public service vehicle.
- After payment to the advance tax you will be issued with an advance tax certificate.
- A copy of certificate of incorporation.
- Vehicle log book.
- Vehicle Tax Clearance Certificates.
- Letter of application for registration Advance Tax.
- Invoice (importation papers)
- Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- PSV licence.
- The owners of public service vehicles like Matatus must register for an advance which should be paid in advance before a vehicle is registered or licensed in Kenya.
- Mode of payment.
i. Full names,
- The Commissioner is empowered to prescribe the conditions and procedures governing the payment of Advance Tax.
- Currently, the tax is paid at the time of obtaining the PSV license (in the case of conductors and drivers) and at the time of booking for inspection (in the case of commercial vehicle).
- Payments are made at all KRA offices where PSV licenses are issued and from designated Domestic Taxes Department offices.
- Where the receiving office is not computerized, a manual receipt is issued and the vehicle owner should give all his particulars
ii. Personal Identification Number (PIN),
iii. Vehicle registration number
iv. Physical and postal address to facilitate issuance of a computerized receipt.
This should be received by the vehicle owner within a short period.
- End-Of-Year procedure for vehicle owners:
- As the name implies, Advance Tax is a personal tax liability paid in advance.
- The vehicle owner should claim a deduction in respect of the amount paid in any year when submitting tax returns (self-assessment returns) for that year.
- The amount so claimed shall be set-off against the years’ tax liability and where there is nil tax liability, an appropriate refund will be made, subject to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that the refund is correctly due.
- Public institutions and exempt organizations
- No Advance Tax is payable in respect of commercial vehicles that are registered in the names of Public Institutions (e.g. Public schools, Government Ministries etc.) and organizations that are exempt from tax.
- However, such bodies must produce appropriate evidence of their status to the Commissioner for Authority not to pay the Advance Tax.
Office Locations & Contacts
Kenya Revenue Authority- Head Office
Times Tower, 19th Floor, Haile Selassie Avenue
P.O. Box 30742 Tel. 310900, Fax 315987 Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: 2813068 , 2813160 , 2812011.
Fax: 253532,240929 ,Nairobi Kenya.
Website: Kenya Revenue Authority
KRA onlne tax portal : KRA onlne tax portal
KRA Call Centre
Tel: +254 (020) 4999 999/ 4998 000
Cell: +254 (0711) 099 999
KRA Offices : KRA Offices
Was this article helpful?