Procedure on how to Apply for a Temporary Teaching Certificate For Non Kenyan Citizens Important Notes for Applicants (TSC Does Not Accept Paper Applications).
1. All sections of this registration application MUST be completed in full.
2. Please fill in all the required information.
3. It is a serious offence to willfully give false information to the Teachers Service
Commission. The law provides that any person convicted of the offence may
be fined up to Ksh 100,000 or imprisoned for Twelve (12) months or both
(Section 44 of TSC Act No. 20 of 2012).
4. You can save part of this form and complete it on a later time if necessary.
5. Scan and Attach Only the Required Documents:
a. Only original documents should be scanned and uploaded.
b. For Expatriate Teachers, attach a letter of clearance from Ministry of Education
6. For New Registration a non refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- deposited to the TSC Registration Account
National Bank of Kenya (Direct Banking to A/C No. 01001000905001 or Simple
Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625 is required for processing your certificate.
Ensure you have Bank Deposit Slip before proceeding with the application.
7. ForDuplicate Certificate Application a non refundable fee of Kshs. 2055/- deposited to the TSC Registration Account
National Bank of Kenya Direct Banking to A/C No. 01001005707400.
Ensure you have Bank Deposit Slip before proceeding with the duplicate certificate application.
KINDLY NOTE THAT AS FROM 1ST SEPTEMBER 2017 REGISTRATION FEES WILL BE KSHS 1055/-
AND APPLICATION FOR DUPLICATE CERTIFICATE WILL BE KSHS 2055/-
- Important Notes for Applicants (TSC Does Not Accept In person applications).
- The TSC Code of Regulations (2015), Regulation 27 mandates the Commissions to issue a Temporary Teacher Registration Certificate to a person who;
- is in Kenya on recognized education exchange programmes or other international bilateral arrangements or
- not having trained as a teacher but holds a relevant certificate issued to him/her under any law relating to education and training.
- You should also make sure you have a scanned copy of a letter of clearance from Ministry of Education Vetting Committee if non-citizen. Therefore you should start by obtaining this letter of clearance.
- Also make sure your academic qualifications are equated by the Kenya National examination council to verify that the match Kenyan standards.
Apply Online – Temporary Teaching Certificate
- For you to register for a temporary teaching certificate as a non- citizen in Kenya you need to first make an application for registration with the Teachers Service Commission to receive a number as a teacher.
- For you to make this application for a temporary teaching certificate as a non- citizen You have to visit the TSC Website and select option “Teachers online services” under menu “Online Services”.
- This will direct you to the online registration platform
- Here click on option “Teacher Registration:- Non-Citizen”, so as to register.
- This will take you to the next screen where you have to provide your personal details. Which include your
- Passport number
- Phone number.
- KRA PIN. the button “Next” to move to the next screen
- You will also be asked to make a declaration, if you are a trained teacher. After that click on “Next”
- In the next window you are supposed to give your education qualification details and upload the academic certificates. When you click “Add” on the right hand side, a screen appears where you choose the scanned documents and upload.
- Also upload letter of clearance from Ministry of Education Vetting Committee.
- Once you have uploaded all documents click “Next” to move to the next form.
- In the next page select the mode of payment you used to make the application, the pay in slip (Reference number) and the date you made the payment and click on save and finalize.
- You can later on check the status of your application by clicking on the following link registration status
- Once successful you will be issued with the certificate after a period of three months.
Required Documents – Temporary Teaching Certificate
Non Kenyan Citizens
- academic and Professional Certificates and other evidence for registration as a teacher obtained in Kenya or the country of origin
- Academic and Professional Certificates.NB: Must have been awarded by an accredited foreign institution and equated by the relevant public body in Kenya
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher or authority to teach in the country of origin
- A valid Entry / Work Permit issued by the Department of Immigration
- A valid Certificate of Good Conduct issued by the relevant law enforcement agency in the country of origin
- Vetting letter from the Ministry of Education (Kenya)
- prescribed fee of Kshs. 1055NB: All documents must be certified by either a TSC Director or TSC Sub – County Director.
Office Locations & Contacts
Teachers Servcice Commision
Head Office Contacts
Private Bag – Nairobi
Tel: +254 20 289 2000
Location: Head office contacts
Location: other regional offices
Online platform: TSC Online
Current TSC Minimum Academic and Professional Requirements A. ECDE (early childhood education)
- Minimum of CPE/KCPE plus ECDE Certificate from KNEC (Kenya national examination council).
- Minimum mean grade D+ (plus) at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Minimum mean grade D (plain) at KCSE, KNEC proficiency certificate, ECDE Certificate from KNEC Diploma.
- Mean grade C Plain at KCSE and ECDE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade C+ (plus) and above for University Diploma.
- Mean grade C+ and above
B. PTE (Primacy school education)
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
- PTE Certificate from KNEC.
- Mean grade of C-(minus) for visually and hearing impaired persons
C. Diploma in Education
- Minimum grade C Plus in KCSE and above and C+ (plus) in the two subjects specialization
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
- At least C plain in English
- C (plain) in Mathematics for Science based courses
- D+( plus) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
D. Diploma in Education for Visually and hearing impaired
- Minimum grade C Plain in KCSE and above.
- At least C minus in English
- C (minus) in Mathematics for Science based courses
- D( plain) in Mathematics in non-science based courses
E. Bachelor of Education
- Minimum mean grade C+ (plus) and above or its equivalent.
- C+ (plus) in two subjects of specialization
F. Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- Minimum grade C Plus in KCSE and above and C+ (plus) in the two subject’s specialization.
- Post graduate diploma in Education (PGDE).
- A Non-refundable fee of Kshs. 1055/- is to be is made to the TSC;
Registration Account – National Bank of Kenya –Account number No. 01001000905001 or
- Simple Banking using Pay Bill Business Number 625625
- The temporary registration certificate remains valid for a period of six months unless revoked by the commission.
Documents to Use
- Applications are only done online through the following portal
- It takes a period of 30 days for the process to be completed.
- The Commission has provided an online platform for application and registration of teachers.
- Upon the receipt of the application, the Commission vets the documents and the applicant is given response / decision within 30 (thirty days).
- If the application is successful, the applicant is issued with a Registration Certificate which bears the Commission’s Chief Executive Officer’s signature.
- The Certificate is then immediately posted to the teacher through the postal address indicated in the application.
- All sections of the registration application MUST be completed in full.
- Please fill in all the required information.
- It is a serious offence to willfully give false information to the Teachers Service Commission. The law provides that any person convicted of the offence may be fined up to Ksh 100,000 or imprisoned for Twelve (12) months or both (Section 44 of TSC Act No. 20 of 2012).
- You can save part of the application form and complete it on a later time if necessary.
- Scan and Attach Only the Required Documents:
- Only original documents should be scanned and uploaded.
- For Expatriate Teachers, attach a letter of clearance from Ministry of Education Vetting Committee.
- Identification number or passport number
- Full names
- Educational and professional qualifications
- Application details
Need for the Document
- This certificate allows the non-citizen seeking registration as a teacher to practice teaching as they await the Teachers Service Commission to await them their certification.
- In accordance with article 237 of the Constitution of Kenya, Section 23 of TEACHERS SERVICE COMMISSION ACT No. 20 of 2012, it is an offence for any person to engage in the teaching service unless such a person is registered as a teacher.
Information which might help
REVOCATION / RECALL OF CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION
- The Commission is mandated by the TSC Code of Regulations for Teachers (2015), regulation 30 to after a due process revoke and recall a Certificate of Registration that was obtained through;
- (i) fraud(ii) misrepresentation(iii) forgery(iv) a result of mistake or(v) other unlawful means
REFUSAL TO REGISTER
- Section 27 of TSC Act 2012 mandates the Commission not register a person as a teacher who;
- (i) does not possess the prescribed qualifications,(ii) is not of good moral character,(iii) has been convicted of a sexual offence or an offence committed against a learner,(iv) has been convicted of a criminal offence which in the opinion of the Commission, renders the person unfit to be teacher,(v) is engaged in any activities which in the opinion of the Commission, are prejudicial to peace, good order or good government in Kenya,(vi) Suffers from such physical or mental infirmity which in the opinion of a registered medical practitioner renders the person incapable of performing the duties of a teacher.
Was this article helpful?