The Mauritania flag is a green field with an upward-pointed crescent and star. The used colors in the flag are green, yellow. The proportion of the Mauritania flag is 2:3. The Flag of Mauritania was adopted in 2017.
The flag of Mauritania (Arabic: علم موريتانيا) is a green field containing a gold star and crescent, with a red stripe at the top and bottom of the field. The original national flag was introduced under the instructions of President Moktar Ould Daddah and the constitution of 22 March 1959 and was adopted on 1 April 1959.
On 5 August 2017, a referendum was held by President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz to change the national flag, abolish the senate, and other constitutional amendments. The referendum was successful, and the new flag, including two red stripes, which represent “the efforts and sacrifices that the people of Mauritania will keep consenting, to the price of their blood, to defend their territory”, was adopted in time for its first raising on 28 November 2017, the 57th anniversary of Mauritania’s independence
Green, gold and red are considered Pan-African colours. Green is also used to symbolise Islam, and the gold is for the sands of the Sahara desert. The red stripes, which were added to the flag in 2017, represent “the efforts and sacrifices that the people of Mauritania will keep consenting, to the price of their blood, to defend their territory”. The crescent and star are symbols of Islam, which is Mauritania’s state religion. There was no official specification or construction sheet for the exact relative measurements of the star and crescent, except the flag’s measurements of 2:3, until May 2020
According to Kennach (government portal of Mauritania), Flag elements are specified as:
- Proportion = 2 : 3 and all following ratios are to width of the flag
- Width of red stripes = 20 %
- Width of green area = 60 %
- Width of the area of star and crescent = 40 %
- Distance between lower red stripe and lower portion of the crescent = 10 %
- Diameter of outer circle of the crescent = 75 % (50 % of length of the flag)
- Maximum width of the crescent = 10.2 %
- Distance between maximum width of the crescent and base of the star = 10.7 %
- Horns of the crescent are the left and right portions of outer circle
- Distance between upper red stripe and perpendicular vertex of the star = 10 %
- Height of the star = 19.1 % (i.e diameter of the star becomes 21.1164 %)
Was this article helpful?